Saturday, January 10, 2009

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

I thought long and hard on what album I would choose to pop my blogging virginity and I decided it would be fitting to review and upload the album that I have listened to the most over the last year, Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch. The band plays a weird mix of neofolk, doom, post-rock and black metal. They play songs that tend to be long and mostly instrumental. The music evokes, at least in my opinion a feeling of sorrow and despair. The winter is one of the best times to listen to music like this because the feel of the music matches the actual environment. In fact, while listening to this album it is hard to not conjure up images of the outdoors, whether it be the mountains, forest or even flowing streams. It is amazing to me how Agalloch seamlessly blends so many different sounds in one song. 

Most of the vocals are of the black metal variety, which in the case are just raspy, there are however some clean vocals spread throughout the songs and I feel that they are tastefully done even though they are a bit frigid and monotone. On that note, the monotony of the vocals whether shrieked or sung work well with the music as they add to the bleakness of the sound. The guitars are generally played at a slow pace with some grooves in some of the songs, the most intricate guitar parts are featured on the tracks, Falling Snow and Not Unlike the Waves. The lyrics tend to deal with nature and are woeful and depressing.

Standout tracks for me are Falling Snow, which is easily the most upbeat track on the album. If you replaced the few raspy vocal parts completely with clean vocals it would be extremely accessible. Not Unlike the Waves is another highlight just because it is the heaviest song on the album and has a great groove and some really well placed clean vocals. My favorite track on the album is easily Our Fortress is Burning..... II Bloodbirds, which to me is the most powerful song on the album, vocally, instrumentally and lyrically. It includes my favorite line from the entire album: The god of man is a failure. It is the only song that gives me goosebumps on a consistent basis.

Ashes Against the Grain is quite honestly one of the best albums I have ever heard and has the most unique sound of any album I have ever listened to. I have searched furiously trying to find more bands that sound like this and have only been able to find bands that encompass some aspects of the sound but not the sound as a whole. I find that to be one of the major accomplishments of this album and whole-heartedly believe it will end up being viewed as timeless classic for any fan of metal. 

If you enjoy this check out: Drudkh, which are more aggressive but also have folkish parts. Sol Invictus because they are one of the pioneers of neofolk and even Godspeed You Black Emperor! because they are great at creating unique musical atmospheres and have that same epic feel to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment